SFI - Fleet Resources Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SFI - Fleet Resources Center

STARFLEET International - Fleet Resources Center

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
J. Gallagher

J. Gallagher

Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General Empty
PostSubject: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Greetings,
Let me introduce myself. I am COL. Joseph Gallagher, SFMCR, Deputy Director of STARFLEET Medical. Myself and LTCOL. Chris Pittarelli - Director, are here to assist the chapter CMO's, as well as any members at large, in bringing awareness of medical issues that affect all of us, whether they affect you or someone close such as a spouse or relative. In addition, we encouage members to seek 'real-lfe' first-aid and CPR training, which can, save someone in a potentially life-threatening situation. I also speak from experience, as an EMT for 18 years, I have been in situations where, if a family-member or bystander knew what to do in an emergency, many lives could have been saved or, at least, lessen the extent of the injury. LTCOL Pittarelli and I can help direct those who wish to seek this type of training, whether it be CPR or just basic first-aid, in finding local agencies or educational institiutions that offer such training. Even if you don't want to seek professional certification, we can provide information that can be passed to your fellow members in the form of publications or helpful hand-outs that outline simple, yet beneficial first-aid techniques that can potientally prevent an emerency from getting worse. Remember, these publications and hand-outs are not a substitution for proper medical training and some of the techiques outlined, if not done properly, can further injure the person you are trying to help. STARFLEET Medical also offers the "Fitness for Duty" program that provides our members with healthy lifestyle options, tips and information to guide you to become the "better you" and avoid factors that can lead to medical problems later on in life. These include, but are not limited to, diabetes, poor diet, excessive weight, starting a new excerise routine, etc. Our website is not yet up and running, but will have many resources in assisting you finding the answers you seek. Please fell free to contact us with any questions or concerns. I can be reached via email at stargazer2371@yahoo.com.
Back to top Go down
J. Gallagher

J. Gallagher

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 11:05 pm

There has been some changes since my last post. As of 18 FEB, 2009, I have been named the new Director of STARFLEET Medical. As the new Surgeon General, it is my duty to coordinate with all CMO's to assist them in providing information to their respective chapters. In addition, information will become available to all members concerning many health related issues, my previous post outlines much of the work I will be trying to do. I ask all CMO's to report to me as soon as possible at stargazer2371@charter.net to introduce yourself and to allow for questions/answers, as well as to let me know what I can do for your chapter.

In service,

COL. Joseph Gallagher, SFMCR
STARFLEET, Surgeon General
USS Providence NCC-71796
Strategic Operations Officer
stargazer2371@charter.net
Back to top Go down
co-tiberius

co-tiberius

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 am

Joseph Gallagher wrote:
There has been some changes since my last post. As of 18 FEB, 2009, I have been named the new Director of STARFLEET Medical. As the new Surgeon General, it is my duty to coordinate with all CMO's to assist them in providing information to their respective chapters. In addition, information will become available to all members concerning many health related issues, my previous post outlines much of the work I will be trying to do. I ask all CMO's to report to me as soon as possible at stargazer2371@charter.net to introduce yourself and to allow for questions/answers, as well as to let me know what I can do for your chapter.

In service,

COL. Joseph Gallagher, SFMCR
STARFLEET, Surgeon General
USS Providence NCC-71796

Morning Colonel

In region two, Commodore Jack Eaton I am the Vice Regional Medical director. I am sending you the address of our region two updates that we send out to the membes of the region every month.

http://www.secondfleet.org/update/01-2009/

I submit articles for this newsletter on a regular basics. I have taken varies Medcial courses from "Fleet" amd "SFMCA".

I am retired Marine of 25 years

Colonel Oliver Savander SR
CO USS Tiberius
RRO R2
VRDC Medical
Deputy Support Director, SFSO
http://www.usstiberius.org
Back to top Go down
J. Gallagher

J. Gallagher

PostSubject: Vice Regional Medical Director - R2   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Good Evening Colonel,

First, let me thank you for the introduction. Second, I appreciate you sharing the link for R2 updates. I visited the site and was very impressed. I am hoping to see more real world medical conditions and topics outline and discussed within Medical. Below is an excerpt from an email I sent to an officer in R1:

"My goal is to implement various educational and awareness programs within each chapter, as posted in the STARFLEET Medical FRC Forum. The forum will be the ‘FLEET Medical Department’s version of a website, where members can post information or host discussions relevant to medical issues. I encourage you to visit the FRC Forum to get an idea of what is available through the Fleet Resource Program. You can then inform your fellow members and other chapters of what is available. To put it in another way, “Spread the Word”.

Almost every other department has some basis in ‘real-life’. Sciences present articles concerning new discoveries made by the scientific community, and Chaplain Services offer information on self-help programs and community groups that offer personal support. I wish to present the medical department as such. I have been an EMT for 18 years, so I have real world knowledge and experience to bring to this post.

If you or anyone else has questions/comments/concerns, please feel free (you or them) to contact me. I have an open door policy."

For example, did you know that the American Heart Association changed the CPR guidelines in 2005? Some of the medical exams in the SFA/SFMCA still are not updated to reflect this information. While it is nice to expand on the medical aspects of Star Trek, we should also spend time with the real medicine of our time. We would be doning a service to our fellow members and their families.

Would you be able to do an article about health-related issues, say, every other month? The information is available on a variety of sites, and I was informed by my superior that information could be cut and pasted from other sites to our forum and chapter/regional newsletters as long as the source is quoted.

Lets give the other departments in the 'FLEET a run for their money.

In addition, I also would like to thank you for your service to our country.

In service,

Joseph Gallagher, Colonel
STARFLEET Medical, Surgeon General
USS Providence NCC-71796
Back to top Go down
co-tiberius

co-tiberius

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:53 am

For example, did you know that the American Heart Association changed the CPR guidelines in 2005? Some of the medical exams in the SFA/SFMCA still are not updated to reflect this information. While it is nice to expand on the medical aspects of Star Trek, we should also spend time with the real medicine of our time. We would be doning a service to our fellow members and their families.

Sir,

After retiring from the Corps I was in a volunteer fire department in Pasco county in Florida where I work up the rank to a paid Certitfied FF/EMT-P and Captain. One my duties was a training officer for others in the department in CPR/First Aid with the "RED CROSS" and the "Heart Association". We had the first year on First Responder course where my wife got started and evntually became a EMT.

The medical technology of "TOS" is catching up to us. What introduced to us in the 60's is none used by doctors here in the 21st Century.
Back to top Go down
J. Gallagher

J. Gallagher

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Sir,

It is great to meet a fellow brother, after 17 years in the FDNY and now on disability, I understand the magnitude of your devotion and the position you obtained.

Now you are the type of person that I'm looking for to implement my program changes. As an instructor, you have the knowledge and experience to help other people realize the importance of learning some form of basic first-aid and CPR. Does your region have an active CPR program? You can arrange for an away mission with several nearby chapters to have a day of CPR training/certification. The next region summit would be a great way to get people involed and trained. A classroom could be put aside for AHA/Red Cross certification and cards could be presented at the awards dinner/banquet. Would you be willing to pass this idea on to your superiors?

As for the technology aspect, I couldn't agree more. Many of our current medical procedures and equipment would definitely would have been considered science fiction in the 60's. In fact, some good articles could come from that very idea, comparing TOS to modern-day medicine. Combining a bit of sci-fi with fact.

I very much hope to meet you someday, we have much in common and would have a lot to talk about.

Respectfully,
Back to top Go down
co-tiberius

co-tiberius

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 pm

You can arrange for an away mission with several nearby chapters to have a day of CPR training/certification. The next region summit would be a great way to get people involed and trained. A classroom could be put aside for AHA/Red Cross certification and cards could be presented at the awards dinner/banquet. Would you be willing to pass this idea on to your superiors

Last Year at summit we had blood drive with a local agent. I had a first aid station. As I said in previous message or RC Jack Eaton has no plan on having a day for CPR/Training certification. I will bring it up at the next region two meeting. I can you the engine for attending our meeting and you can present at the time we have one.

Its ajax setup and you need not download a program to join us. You can this link from our website. USS Tiberius (wwwusstiberous.org).

http://www.usstiberius.org/features/irc/

Yes indeed I will pass this along the chain of command. I don't know if I will have this post in the future this region is restructuring various departments.

Commodore Jack Eaton
region2rc@hotmail.com
USS Trident
Back to top Go down
J. Gallagher

J. Gallagher

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:26 am

Thank you for the info. I plan to attend the next Region 2 meeting. Please email me privately when the time and date are determined.

I understand your position. Whatever you can do, even just passing my suggestion along, is all that I can ask. It is appreciated.

In service,
Back to top Go down
co-tiberius

co-tiberius

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 8:23 am

I understand your position. Whatever you can do, even just passing my suggestion along, is all that I can ask. It is appreciated

Curently I am the Vice Medical Director, the person in charge of the department step down. I ask the Regional Coordinator several times I will be the "chair" now and he is working those detail. This has been going for sometime. I guess this department is on the chopping block. What is the problem a lot members take the position just to have a "title". Currently I just submit articles and If I was going too summit I would in charge of the medical staff. One of my members has CPR/First Aid and she is bring her "Truma box". And setting up a station. She is Lt Colonel Anne Zecca. I don't if will have a blood drive this year.

Former Director: Brig Neil Yawns

Maybe at the summit at the meeting they discuss it!

Colonel Oliver Savander SR
CO USS Tiberius
RRO R2 (Communication)
VRDC Medical
Deputy Director of Support/SFSO
Back to top Go down
Garang

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 9:28 am

co-tiberius wrote:

As the Medical Branch Director, allow me to explain. Yes I am aware of the change and when dealing with MD-30 papers, this is the standard that is expected. However when dealing with other exams, we generally follow a simple guidelines of adhering to the Medical Branch Manual due to a variety of reasons.
Nevertheless the next cycle of Medical Branch Manual that will be coming out in July 2009 will reflect the change and it is only until than will the exams will follow suit and reflect the change.

Thank you for you understanding. My apologies for any inconviences caused.

Semper Fidelis
Sofyan Sahrom
Medical Branch Director
SFMCA, TRACOM
SFMC
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General   Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome - from the Deputy Surgeon General
Page 1 of 1